Counseling – a kaleidoscope of options exists; in fact, there are over 400 different frameworks in the field! At Pinnacle Psych, we are extremely skilled at identifying all of the “red herrings” (distracting and/or irrelevant data), and zeroing in on what ultimately is going to get you the most traction and relief. We draw from the relevant frameworks and strategies to get you “unstuck” and moving toward your own pinnacle! At a very high level, here are a few of the modalities we might infuse into our work with you:
Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
The core tenet of CBT is to examine the ways in which our thoughts, feelings/emotions, and behaviours mingle with each other, in helpful and unhelpful ways. Cognitive behavioural therapy in Calgary is research-based and looks to rework unhelpful thinking patterns, leading to more skillful behaviours.
The goal is not to eliminate anxiety – this is actually impossible, and negatively impacts performance! We want to identify and achieve the optimal amount of anxiety (for each of us), so that we are engaged, though not overwhelmed. Comfortably uncomfortable is where growth occurs!
Narrative Therapy (NT)
Narrative therapy helps us to reframe the plots of our lives in a more forward-focused, resilience-acknowledging, and exceptions-to-the-rule manner. Narrative therapy in Calgary is especially useful for trauma and family work, where we look to become untethered from the events of the past (though also validating their impact), so that we can build our preferred narratives or storylines.
Self-Determination Theory (SDT)
Self-Determination Theory (SDT) is a beautiful framework that explores the interplay between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. SDT helps us to find ways to promote autonomy, competence, and relatedness in our lived experiences.
This approach strives to focus on what is going well in our lives, and to build on these strengths, versus having a focus on deficits. We are tasked with anchoring these strengths into attaining the optimal level of skill and challenge, in order to reach a state of optimal performance, and, ideally, of “flow” or “being in the zone.”
If you have any questions or would like to receive counselling in Calgary, please feel free to contact us today.
- The ones already listed (CBT, NT, SDT, PP)
- Existential: This approach invites us to courageously reflect on the meaning of our lives, and to marry the principles of embracing our freedom, while honouring our responsibilities.
- Person-Centered: Ultimately, we are relational human beings – the therapeutic relationship in the room (or across the screen), which can be a mirror and vehicle for our everyday living, is a major catalyst and support for change in our lived experiences.
- CBIT for TS
- ERP for OCD
- PE for PTSD
- FT & PS
- Psychoeducational Assessment
- Substance Use Assessment
- Social/Emotional/Behavioural Assessment
- Executive Function and ADHD Consulting
- Leadership and Business Development Consulting